Buffalo Chicken. I’d be lying if I said the idea of it didn’t tempt me once in a while.
But other than a few dumb slip ups, I’ve been ovo-vegetarian (aka no meat, no dairy but occasional egg consumption) for two years now and still going strong! So despite being tempted every once in a while, I never indulge when it comes to meat.
Which is why I was so excited to find Bullfrogs and Bulldogs’ recipe for Vegan Buffalo Chicken…the secret ingredient? Cauliflower! One of my favorite things about being vegan is experimenting with different plant foods so that they resemble old staples. So I think it goes without saying that I need to try this recipe ASAP.
- 1 head cauliflower
For the batter:
- Dash of Frank’s Original Hot Sauce, or whatever kind you like
- ½ c. white rice flour
- ½ c. water
- Pinch salt
For the Buffalo sauce:
- ¼ c. Frank’s Hot Sauce
- ¼ c. oil, canola oil works best
- Pinch salt
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Mix together the batter ingredients in a small bowl. Dip the cauliflower in the batter until coated evenly then place on greased baking sheet. Bake for about 15 minutes or until the batter hardens.
- Mix together sauce ingredients in a small bowl. Once the cauliflower are done baking, brush them with the hot sauce mixture and bake again for a few more minutes, until cauliflower is crispy.
- Remove from oven. You may want to add a bit more buffalo sauce to taste.
You can bet I’m thanking Amanda at Bullfrogs and Bulldogs for this fantastic recipe! What a great way to indulge without really indulging ;-). Happy Thursday!