Tempeh and Sweet Potato Collard Wraps
There are so many heath and environmental benefits to going meatless even if it is just one day a week! Although I am not vegetarian and participate in this everyday, it is easy for me to cut out meat at least one day a week. I have yet to actually purchase tofu or tempeh due to the fact I’d rather have the real stuff and typically take this day to indulge in whole grains, beans, nuts, veggies/veggie burgers, sweet potatoes, hummus wraps, packed salads, and quinoa bowls. Although when I saw these Collard Wraps over at Eating Bird Food I knew this was the perfect opportunity to give tempeh another try.
- 2 collard green leaves
- 1/2 block (6 oz) of tempeh, chopped into 1/4 inch slices
- 2-3 Tablespoons hummus <– Can always do more hummus and less tempeh if you are also new to tempeh
- 1 small baked sweet potato, sliced into 1/4 inch slices
- Red pepper sliced
- Chopped red onion
- Sprinkle of dried cranberries
- Salt and pepper to taste
- De-stem collard leaves
- Cook tempeh in non-stick skillet on medium heat for 3-4 mins on each side or until the tempeh starts to brown. Heating is optional although if you’re new to tempeh I would recommend browning it.
- Spread hummus onto the top/middle of each leaf and add the rest of the ingredients then wrap like a burrito.
- Cut each wrap in half if desired
With all the other options its honestly a lot easier than you think to go meatless one day of the week! If you need more suggestions on meals to participate in Meatless Monday (or whatever day of the week you chose) let me know!